Librariest

The Librariest

I'm an elementary librarian in need of justifying the amount of books I reads aimed at eleven year-olds by organizing them on a nifty website.

The Hoboken Chicken Emergency
The Boxcar Children Beginning: The Aldens of Fair Meadow Farm
Patricia MacLachlan
Les Miserables: Complete and Unabridged

White Stag

The White Stag - Kate Seredy This epic begins with Nimrod, prophet/leader of a long-suffering people, offering a sacrifice to his god by way of smashing in the head of his favorite steed. Apparently the sacrifice works as Nimrod is immediately blessed with a vision foretelling of his people's deliverance to a land of promise and plenty. He sees the coming of the greatest of leaders -Attila, who will with "the mighty voice and wings red as blood" lead his people to their land of destiny. This mighty warrior is to enter the world through the line of one of Nimrod's sons, Hunor, who lends his name to half of the tribe - The Huns. The tale then proceeds to unfold exactly as Nimrod predicted. It culminates with the glorious Attila, after comforting a fallen toddler, pulling sword from the ground and securing the land of Hungary "against all powers on earth, for my people". I sure would have liked to see the pitch for this book: "In less than a hundred pages we will mythologizes the glorious rise to power of Attila the Hun. There will be no apologies for the slaughter of thousands, but we will show that the poor motherless-lad really had no other destiny with such a father - and his people really did love him." I don’t know if my ignorance of mythological literature interfered with my appreciation of the book, but all I can say is – this is one weird critter. The story gallops along, pausing from time to time to create a scene for the reader, but never connecting the reader to the characters. This may be par for the course with this type of literature, but I personally found it wanting. Seredy’s fantastical drawings were throughout the book. They are arresting and reminiscent of artwork that clutter the Fantasy Fan world – or finer tattoo parlors. This might work well as a graphic novel, where weirdness is all the rage. As to the question of how this holds up. I might hand it over to a student who was interested in Mythology, with the caveat that is a mythology entirely created by the author.