Librariest

The Librariest

I'm an elementary librarian in need of justifying the amount of books I reads aimed at eleven year-olds by organizing them on a nifty website.

The Hoboken Chicken Emergency
The Boxcar Children Beginning: The Aldens of Fair Meadow Farm
Patricia MacLachlan
Les Miserables: Complete and Unabridged

Jellaby

Jellaby - Kean Soo He’s big, he’s purple, he’s kind to children, but to the best of my knowledge he does not come with an annoying theme song. Jellaby shows up in Portia’s life during a late night excursion into the scary woods surrounding her house. Portia is a precocious youngster, dealing with the absence of her father. Throw in a big purple monster, with an incredibly sweet disposition, and a schoolmate, Jason, who would rather face a throng of bullies rather than relinquish his carrot stash, and you’ve got a trio ready to take on any challenge the world is ready to throw their way. For a non-graphic reader I found this a lovely gateway into the genre. There is much to appeal to young readers: strong and identifiable characters, action sequences, and the ridiculous situation of how to hide a big purple creature, with a dash of angst thrown in for spice. There are a few tricky ‘staging’ techniques used by the artist to depict dreams and thoughts that work very well, (i.e. even I could follow them), facial expression and dead wonderful, and easy to interpret. It does end in an abrupt cliff-hanger, good thing I have the sequel at hand.